School closure portal

Graham Quince

FrogStore-Link_400_.png

I've uploaded a new site to the FrogStore called School Closure Portal.  The site is designed to help in the event for snow days, industrial action etc...

It contains a noticeboard, forum, gallery and contacts page, but the most useful section are three KS3 level independent lesson plans.  The lessons shouldn't conflict with anything on the curriculum directly and are there should you be asked to set work for students.  Each lesson is built around the knowledge-based learning concept with TED ED videos, forums, quizzes and file drops to capture student learning.   I'm sure your kids won't thank you, but I'm hoping your teachers will.

screen1.JPG screen3.JPG screen2.JPG  screen5.JPG  screen4.JPG  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Graham

Am trying to get my hands on this and Frog are working on it. As part of our strategic plan we are looking at contingencies to put in place in case school has to close for an extended period of time. Being where we are, the most common cause is rain days beleive it or not hence its named project rainy day VLE.

Does the school closure portal just sit in our system on our server? or does it sit online seperately?  I ask as if anything were to happen on site here, and our servers were down we would be unable to access frog which makes our rainy day VLE somewhat useless :) 

On 15/12/2016 at 13:50, Graham Quince said:

Always the possbility of strike action and gas leaks.  Keep your hopes up :D

Just to say 13 years now...  and even the Beast from the East/Storm Emma didn't close us!!

On 3/6/2018 at 08:26, nward said:

Hi Graham

Am trying to get my hands on this and Frog are working on it. As part of our strategic plan we are looking at contingencies to put in place in case school has to close for an extended period of time. Being where we are, the most common cause is rain days beleive it or not hence its named project rainy day VLE.

Does the school closure portal just sit in our system on our server? or does it sit online seperately?  I ask as if anything were to happen on site here, and our servers were down we would be unable to access frog which makes our rainy day VLE somewhat useless :) 

Hi @nward,

I wanted to speak to a couple of people to make sure I had the right information.  

The School Closed portal is a site for you to deploy on your Frog.  I've checked and you're running Frog in a VM, so if your servers were to go down, you're right,you wouldn't have access.  However, we'd make best endeavours to get you back online.  Given the size of your particular Frog, we couldn't run a back up of your Frog from the Manchester data centre.  This is our usual fallback position, until a local server can be set up.

If this is a serious concern for you and the project team, i'd suggest we have a proper conversation about a second server in a different location.  That conversation wouldn't be with me, but let me know if you want me to arrange it.

Graham

• 2 weeks later...