Markbook - 'Not handed' in behaviour

Matt

Another question for the great minds within the Frog forums!!

In the Markbook application a bug was identified where if an assignment had the status of 'Handed in or 'Not Done' it would count as 0 towards the Average Mark. For example:

image.png

The 'Handed in' (Green tick) behaviour is obviously wrong and we have a fix ready for it. However the school that raised the issue has argued that they feel the 'Not Done' counting as 0 towards the Average mark is how they would expect it to work (Not doing it is as bad as getting the worst mark possible for that assignment). However they would want one exception that is if the Assignment was 'Not Done' but has the 'Absent' flag on it:

image.png

Then this would not affect the average mark.

I'm thinking if one school would like it to behave this way, then there may be more.

Therefore here is my question to you guys, which of the following behaviour would you prefer:

A) ‘Not done’ should count as the lowest score possible for an assignment, unless the Absent flag is also applied – in which case the assignment will be ignored for the Average Mark calculation.

B) If an assignment is 'Not Done' for a student, it is ignored for the Average Mark calculation

For B), the thinking behind this is more for if schools want the Average Mark to solely look at marks for work that has been completed. As long as work is clearly highlighted as 'Not Done' in the Markbook / reporting - then the school can deal with work that hasn't been done separately (Detentions etc) - it doesn't need to affect the Average Mark.

Thanks!

When I was developing this, my thinking was that non-completion was a 0 - because the work wasn't done. Marking as absent makes sense to then exclude this from the average mark calculation. My main concern was students being able to game the system, by artificially increasing their average mark by not handing in assignments they knew they wouldn't do well on. Perhaps this was over-cautious of me?

29 minutes ago, adamw said:

When I was developing this, my thinking was that non-completion was a 0 - because the work wasn't done. Marking as absent makes sense to then exclude this from the average mark calculation. My main concern was students being able to game the system, by artificially increasing their average mark by not handing in assignments they knew they wouldn't do well on. Perhaps this was over-cautious of me?

Blinking developers making things for clients...  without finding out how they want to use it first........ ?

if they don’t do it tough you leave it in the mix... if they couldn’t do it because they weren’t in.... that’s a bit harsh!!!

1 minute ago, ADT said:

if they don’t do it tough you leave it in the mix... if they couldn’t do it because they weren’t in.... that’s a bit harsh!!!

Unless they were playing truant .... :p

Maybe I’ve missed something, but can I offer an option C? 

If there is a mark (including zero) count it in the average. If there is no mark (-) don’t.

Absent should definitely not count as zero. But if kid retrospectively does it, I’d like to leave the absent flag but enter a mark and have it count in the average.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pconkie said:

If there is a mark (including zero) count it in the average. If there is no mark (-) don’t.

Absent should definitely not count as zero. But if kid retrospectively does it, I’d like to leave the absent flag but enter a mark and have it count in the average.

Makes sense to me!!

On 22/05/2019 at 07:32, pconkie said:

@pconkie that is what B) is meant to be - just probably not worded well enough......

"B) If an assignment is 'Not Done' for a student, it is ignored for the Average Mark calculation"

So to give more context to that it means that if an assignment is finished with (Closed) - anything that doesn't have a mark, whether it be 'Handed in' with no mark, or 'Not Done' with no mark - would be ignored for the Average Mark calculation.

Just for further clarification, when an assignment is closed - ignoring the Absent / Late flags, an assignment can only be:

- 'Handed in' with a mark (Mark just shows)

- 'Handed in' with no mark (Green tick)

- 'Not Done' (Red cross) and any assignment that was anything but 'Handed in' before the assignment was closed, gets reverted to this on closing.

Therefore so far it looks like we've got one vote each on here for Option A - @ADT  and then Option B/C - @pconkie - although it sounds like you are agreeing with both Adrian?

@adamw doesn't count :P 

The logic for both makes sense! Which is making me lean towards catering for both of them (maybe a system preference option)...

Thanks for your feedback!!

2 hours ago, Matt said:

@pconkie that is what B) is meant to be - just probably not worded well enough......

"B) If an assignment is 'Not Done' for a student, it is ignored for the Average Mark calculation"

So to give more context to that it means that if an assignment is finished with (Closed) - anything that doesn't have a mark, whether it be 'Handed in' with no mark, or 'Not Done' with no mark - would be ignored for the Average Mark calculation.

Just for further clarification, when an assignment is closed - ignoring the Absent / Late flags, an assignment can only be:

- 'Handed in' with a mark (Mark just shows)

- 'Handed in' with no mark (Green tick)

- 'Not Done' (Red cross) and any assignment that was anything but 'Handed in' before the assignment was closed, gets reverted to this on closing.

Therefore so far it looks like we've got one vote each on here for Option A - @ADT  and then Option B/C - @pconkie - although it sounds like you are agreeing with both Adrian?

@adamw doesn't count :P 

The logic for both makes sense! Which is making me lean towards catering for both of them (maybe a system preference option)...

Thanks for your feedback!!

Im happy with Conkies option C!!!   If there is a mark including 0...  add it to the mix.... no number it doesn't!!

• Thanks 1